Rene thanks,

This will help a lot. I'll study that implementation.

I would like to get my 5i25 to be able to process the encoder data.

Is the protocol direction only one direction from the encoder? If it were I
could just hook up the read signals in the 7i74 and create a vhdl component
that could process the signal.