> From: Marcus Bowman [mailto:marcus.bow...@visible.eclipse.co.uk]
>
> This is interesting, for two reasons:
> 1. I had two Geckos fail last year, after 10 years or so running at 78 volts.
> The Gecko pins were not burnt, but I did burn a pin on a
> heavy duty 5 pin XLR connector, twice on the same connector.Gecko combination.
> 2. I suffered intermittent failure on one axis, and simply could not find
> what was causing the trouble. Swapped cables; waggled
> cables; replaced the cable connectors; no luck at all.
>
> Finally, one Gecko 210 failed. So, I swapped the leads to the Gecko for
> another axis I wasn't using for the job (4th axis).
> Spectacular Bang and I lost that Gecko too. Expensive. Almost shed a tear.
> It may be the fault of the intermittent connections Rafael mentions (Thanks
> for that info).
>
> I replaced the 210 duds with the 213V model, which seem to give a smoother
> drive but which, crucially, will drop out and indicate
> an error rather than act like fuses.

Yes.  For the past few weeks I´ve had the Gecko´s fault for no reason.  Now, in
hindsight,  that should have been a huge alarm flag.

I thought maybe the backlash on LinuxCNC which steps faster than the max step
rate may have somehow caused that since I was doing a lot of Z axis passes and
suddenly losing position as the drive faulted.  So I lowered the overall speed
of the axis and the problem seemed to go away.  Until yesterday just as I was
running a check on the paths with the tool clear of the work.

Now I know that if the alarm LED goes on to pull the drive and clean connectors
etc.  Assuming I buy a replacement Gecko if this one can´t be repaired.

John