I've never had much luck with plunging end mills full dia. Probably works better with HSS , not so brittle. However, I plunge cut at 40% overlap and 15 - 18 ipm at 2200 with .25 carbide. Get fair life doing that. On the same rather flexible mill using a 1/2" rougher I'm good for .1" radial cuts. That works well when they overlap as in really rough profiling. In general I'm working with 1018 crs or A36.  Doing full dia plunge cuts it is easy to run out of stiffness and power with a 1 hp belt-driven spindle.

I still have hopes of getting the Mazak operational again and that will be a game changer.

Dave

On 4/14/20 10:55 AM, Sam Sokolik wrote:
we have various forms of these type calculators that seem to work well

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Valenite-SPEED-AND-FEED-CALCULATOR-1981-Datailzer-Slide-Charts/164146745960?hash=item2637e89268:g:V~oAAOSwIGleb93M

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 12:50 PM John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>
wrote:

Thanks.  The last bit of LinuxCNC milling with a 6mm carbide plunging into
HRS broke two of them.  I'm really not doing this right yet.  So any
examples of feeds, speeds and coolant are really helpful.

John Dammeyer

-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Sokolik [mailto:samco...@gmail.com]
Sent: April-14-20 10:38 AM
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Non-circular boring. Linuxcnc style.

sorry - forgot a few things.. The mill was a resharpened at about .47".
(why it took 2 tries to get the size where I wanted it)  the timing gear
was aluminum.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 12:26 PM Ed <ate...@mwt.net> wrote:

On 4/14/20 9:53 AM, Sam Sokolik wrote:
now to upgrade the spindle encoder...

https://youtu.be/VmWeXS6y-lg

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 9:00 PM andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com>
wrote:
On Sat, 11 Apr 2020 at 02:50, Ed <ate...@mwt.net> wrote:

I'm thinking gear hobs or single cutters.
I have been thinking of making gear hobs this way for a while. What
holds me back is that I am not sure that I know how to heat treat
the
hob to a state that will cut the materials that I want to make gears
out of.

--
Heat treating D2 is not a problem here and would work well if a little
slower than M2 high speed. A higher temp furnace is in the plans. I

I am being pushed by a couple customers to get my horizontal/hobbing
machine finished and that will be able to do this kind of work. Soon I
will be paging Andy to help with the setup. :-)

Ed.