I was just going to comment that if you have to circular mill then the initial use of a drill might be faster and safer.

Dave

On 4/14/20 4:03 PM, John Dammeyer wrote:
So if I don't have a center cutting end mill then it's probably a good idea to
drill a hole so that the overlap criteria can be met?  I guess plan the hole in
the CNC part drawing?

-----Original Message-----
From: dave engvall [mailto:dengv...@charter.net]
Sent: April-14-20 11:37 AM
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Non-circular boring. Linuxcnc style.

I've never had much luck with plunging end mills full dia. Probably
works better with HSS , not so brittle. However, I plunge cut at 40%
overlap and 15 - 18 ipm at 2200 with .25 carbide. Get fair life doing
that. On the same rather flexible mill using a 1/2" rougher I'm good for
.1" radial cuts. That works well when they overlap as in really rough
profiling. In general I'm working with 1018 crs or A36.� Doing full dia
plunge cuts it is easy to run out of stiffness and power with a 1 hp
belt-driven spindle.

I still have hopes of getting the Mazak operational again and that will
be a game changer.

Dave