direction it should.

Please see screenshots, any thoughts are appreciated.

-Dave

On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 14:44:54 -0400, Peter C. Wallace <p...@mesanet.com>
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Apr 2020, David Berndt wrote:

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 14:21:45 -0400
From: David Berndt <ber...@uberwin.com>
To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>,
    Peter C. Wallace <p...@mesanet.com>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Encoder reset on homing to index
 Thanks for the feedback Peter.

I took the time to re-order my hal file (it's a bit of a disaster with all the other non motion going-ons in there).

Here is the relevant start of m addf's

addf hm2_5i25.0.read          servo-thread
addf motion-command-handler   servo-thread
addf motion-controller        servo-thread
addf pid.x.do-pid-calcs       servo-thread
addf pid.y.do-pid-calcs       servo-thread #rotary
addf pid.y2.do-pid-calcs      servo-thread #linear
addf pid.z.do-pid-calcs       servo-thread
addf pid.a.do-pid-calcs       servo-thread
addf pid.s.do-pid-calcs       servo-thread

addf sum2.3 servo-thread #pid.y.output +pid.y2.output -> 'y-output' -> hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.1.analogout1

addf hm2_5i25.0.write         servo-thread

I excluded all the stuff below which is are things like servo amp ready, amp fault, coolant, spindle speed, spindle amp draw, f-error tracking, stuff that happens in servo-thread but isn't exciting or relevant to motion in a realtime way.

Yes, PID.y.index-enable, pid.y2.index-enable, hm2....encoder.03.index-enable, and hm2...encoder.01.index-enable are all plumbed up and I show them going TRUE during homing.

When I went out to the cold mill this AM and started fooling around I noticed I was getting some following errors even in my previously configured "acceptable" config which was driving axis.1.motor-pos-fb from the rotary encoder still. Some hal-scoping around shows that maybe with the change I need some re-tuning at higher speeds.

The need for retuning made me think that perhaps if the tuning was questionable and that lead to a bit of runaway condition at higher speeds then perhaps if I just decreased the max speed and tried assigning the linear encoder pos fb to axis pos fb I might see an improvement.

So I did that, and it did. I'm now jogging back and forth at half the old max speed and doing some basic G-code tests with the linear axis being axis.1.motor-pos-fb. Which is nice because the GUI displays more enjoyable numbers.

I'm not sure which change contributed to what, HAL reorder/cleanup, or tuning.

My homing situation hasn't really changed. I still have to home twice to get a completed homing cycle. I once got persistent runaway after homing (caught quickly by f-error), but it wasn't self correcting, turning the machine on again (f2) just led to another immediate runaway. Restarted linuxcnc to try again and all was well. Interesting problems.

So as it stands now, homing (i have no idea what to actually try/change, it's broken but also kind of fine...) , and more tuning (assuming it's not a fools errand to change tuning with the addition of a linear scale...) are my next steps.

-Dave

I suspect you will have to track down whats going on with halscope (triggered by index-enable going low) and monitor the commanded position, feedback position
and PID output