On Saturday 09 May 2020 12:46:56 Ed wrote:

> Starting with a fresh install of 2.7.14, 7I80HD, 2 of 7I29's.
>
> Jumper W2 has been changed on the 7i29's to show encoder signals. The
> LED's flicker as I turn the motors.
>
> I am using PNCconf menus to do the setup
>
> Using SV12 and the usual axis and encoder assignments for a 3 axis and
> a spindle encoder.
>
> Network setup was modified as follows;
>
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> #following was added for Linuxcnc as per
> HM2_ETH<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> auto eth1
> iface eth1 inet static
>      address 192.168.1.1
>      hardware-irq-coalesce-rx-usecs 0
>
> Following is the message at setup;
>

> ed@debian:~$ linuxcnc /home/ed/linuxcnc/configs/3-axis/3-axis.ini
> LINUXCNC - 2.7.14
> Machine configuration directory is '/home/ed/linuxcnc/configs/3-axis'
> Machine configuration file is '3-axis.ini'
> Starting LinuxCNC...
> Found file(REL): ./3-axis.hal
> Note: Using POSIX realtime
> hm2: loading Mesa HostMot2 driver version 0.15
> hm2_eth: loading Mesa AnyIO HostMot2 ethernet driver version 0.2
> hm2_eth: ERROR: can't connect: Network is unreachable
> hm2_eth: rtapi_app_main: Network is unreachable (-101)
> ./3-axis.hal:8: waitpid failed /usr/bin/rtapi_app hm2_eth
> ./3-axis.hal:8: /usr/bin/rtapi_app exited without becoming ready
> ./3-axis.hal:8: insmod for hm2_eth failed, returned -1
> Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...
> Running HAL shutdown script
> hm2: unloading
> Note: Using POSIX realtime
> LinuxCNC terminated with an error.  You can find more information in
> the log:
>      /home/ed/linuxcnc_debug.txt
> and
>      /home/ed/linuxcnc_print.txt
> as well as in the output of the shell command 'dmesg' and in the
> terminal ed@debian:~$
>

> This machine was not hooked up to a network at LCNC install.
>
> Probably a simple, silly mistake at setup on my part but it has
> baffled me for a couple days off and on. I know almost nothing about
> network setup so that is kind of a mystery to me.
>

> Can anybody give me a push to resolve this?

That address, 192.168.1.1, is used by 99.9% of the routers on this ball
of rock and water.  You will never get clear com paths unless theres an
air gap wifi can't cross between you and the rest of the internet.  Put
it in the 192.168.xx.xx block, yes, because routers theoretically don't
relay that block,  but get it off the routers default admin address.

> Thanks, Ed.

 - Louis D. Brandeis