On Sunday 10 May 2020 07:10:25 Mark wrote:

> On 5/9/20 17:33, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday 09 May 2020 16:51:48 Mark Wendt wrote:
> >> That's the default IPv6 address assigned to an unconfigured
> >> interface. As Peter pointed out, he needs to configure eth0, not
> >> eth1 which doesn't look like it exists on his machine.
> >
> > And I didn't note it was eth1, all I saw in his /e/n/i was eth0.
> > Damn I wish they'd quite trying to shove this ipv6 crap down our
> > throats.  I'm out in the puckerbrush of north central WV, and the
> > nearest working ipv6 address is probably in Pittsburg, 150 +  miles
> > north of me. So it all both unfamiliar and bs to me.
>
> One of the trade-offs of living in West By God Virginia. Eventually
> they'll make it into the 20th century.  ;-)

Ya 'spose?

> Been using IPv6 for years now.  We're running out of IPv4 address
> space so something has to be done.

I'm well aware of that Mark, but ANIACT, ipv6 appears to be blocked by my
modem, which belongs to the cable folks. All I log coming into my web
page is 100% ipv4 addresses. So I'd imagine that there is a translation
someplace between the backbone and shentel. What little geip lookups
I've done seems to a accurate. My router, running dd-wrt, NAT's from the
address it gets from shentel, so my web access, from any of my 5
machines, is totally transparent, the translation, wherever it is, works
that well.

TBT, I've never allowed ipv6 setups here at my place, simply because the
net tools then use it as default, don't even consider ipv4 is available
so they just puke and give up. I can't even do a damned dns lookup until
I've totally disabled that crap and rebooted the machine I was playing
with.

Not being able to play with it so I am ready when it arrives is, I'll
say, less than impressive.  So my attitude is they should use it or
shove it.  And price bandwidth high enough to bankrupt the spammers.
The problem of course with that is that the isp is often the spammer.

Stay safe and well now, Mark.

 - Louis D. Brandeis