On Sunday 17 May 2020 12:31:48 Gene Heskett wrote:

> Greetings all;
>
> It looks like I am going to have to dis this $600 piece of junk and
> take it to the car wash to clean out the manufacturing debris.
>
> Which brings up a need to re-lube it as I put it back together.
>
> It has oil ports, push the teeny ball types, but it seems like it
> really should be greased, probably with an EP additive, so what do I
> stop and get at the car parts store?
>
> Sta-Put or ??

Nobody commented, so I used chassis grease.  What I found inside is about
what I expected. pretty fair machine accuracy except for the threaded
stuff.  The worm gear wasn't, it was straight cut, hopfully at the
correct angle to match the worm, which also wasn't profiled. The worm
gear wasn't even pressed fully into place on the spindle, so I fixed
that. Looked like the threads at various places on the spindle had
intercepted several blows from at least a 4 lb hammer, but the threads
were cut sloppy enough to tolerate that once they were cleaned of
debris, with much of the debris haveing a reddish color and quite hard,
hard enough to cause the jamming. I cleaned the worm and gear, but only
removed the quite surplus grease on the outer of the roller bearing, and
regreased the worm and shaft as I re-assembled it, now the backlash is
about 1/8 inch at the end of the crank lever, was nearly an inch and a
half before. And it turns fairly smoothly.  And amazingly, even acc. the
manual from grizzly, there was no ball bearing in th center dimple of
the far end of the worm shaft for the adjusting plug to bear on. So all
told this will be a high wear item. Very narrow contact between the worm
and gear, and probably high wear, at least till it gets worn in between
the worm end play and its adjuster plug.

But the ultimate insult, is that the chuck supplied, and the back plate I
had to loosen by removing the worm, then placeing a screw driver against
one of the countersinks in the front plate and beating it clockwise with
a dead blow, had never been in the same building before shipping to me
in separate boxes.  So the first job once I get the motor installed,
will be to use it as a lathe spindle and machine the backplate to fit
the chuck. Registration ledge and bolt holes. The whole mary-ann.  The
chuck looks decent, but I've not put a caliper on it yet to see if its
round. Scared of what I might find.

This is too big, the post on my G0704 lacks 6" of being tall enough to
use it comfortably, so I am debating with myself if a BS-0 might not be
more usable in the long run.  And probably have to wash, rinse and
repeat all this again to make it usefull.  Lets just say I am not
exactly a happy camper over this turn of events.

Thanks for reading my tale of woe.  Normally, one buys a tool expecting
it to be useable OOTB.  This $600+ BS-1 is a very poor parts kit to make
one that might be accurate enough.  Has anyone else's experience been
any better?

> Cheers, Gene Heskett

 - Louis D. Brandeis