On Monday 18 May 2020 11:50:06 Chris Albertson wrote:

> On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 5:38 AM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> wrote:
>
> . I found an ultra
>
> > compact nema23 motor mount, from Germany but they can't ship to the
> > US because of covid-19 & refunded my card.
>
> You are buying an NEMA23 motor mount when you have a full machine shop
> in the garage?

Yeah, I know, stupid ain't it?  But this thing will weight, once the
chuck is mounted, just shy of 90 kg, (skyhook weight IOW) and the
temptation to use the motor as a handle to horse the thing around will
be overpowering.  Its not because a 3NM motor is so strong, its the
overall weight of the whole darned thing. I want to, if I make a mount,
brace the motor to it at both ends of the motor.  And plastic just isn't
up to it.

> I found that motor mounts don't need to be so strong, The reaction
> force from a 3NM motor is at most only 3NM.  The M5 size screws used
> to hold the motor to the mount ar over-kill.

Agreed, I've motors on a little hf mill, on 3/8 rod standoffs for a
decade, no problem.

> I'll post the files when I can show a video of it working but I've
> just finished a 3D printed CNC conversion of a Harbor Freight Mini
> Mill.   I've got a design that is pretty much just a screwdriver
> assembly, zero machine work.    But all wait until I can post a video
> of at least the 3 axis jogging.   Plastic is more than strong and
> rigid enough to fill the space between a motor and the mill.

No argument there but thats an 80 lb mill (LMS bigger tables kit), can
you pick it up by a motor so attached?  I have.  But I messed up a teeny
ball screw, so the electricals are now moving a 6040 gantry at 200 ipm,
and that mill is in pieces on the shop building floor that I'll salvage
the motors & dampers off of some day when I've nothing better to do.
The rest of it goes in the iron pile.  Might save the spindle motor
controller, it failed and got rebuilt with much higher capacity parts.

Stay well and safe Chris.

 - Louis D. Brandeis