On Mon, 25 May 2020 at 02:03, R C <cjv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I decided to use an RPI (because it is easy to use GPIO pins to read
> signals) and write some code to read these  encoder signals.

It's pretty easy to read GPIO with LinuxCNC, and at least as easily as
with a Pi.

Now, an Arduino with dedicated quadrature hardware counters might make
sense, but the Pi can't do anything that LinuxCNC can't do,

_How_ are you reading the encoder on the Pi? If it is not in the
context of a realtime thread then it might be _fast_ but it won't be
accurate.

I have read encoders at impressive speed inside Excel VBA. It works
great except that every few seconds, it doesn't. Because the OS finds
something better to do.
If your Pi isn't running something realtime-patched (like, for
example, LinuxCNC and the preempt-rt kernel) then it might count fast,
but it wont count accurate.

--
atp
lunatics."