> I was about to post the same thing.  OpenSCAD s not a general purpose CAD
> system that you can use for machine design.
>
> How to check for clearance:  On a normal CAD system you can have commands
> like "move this enough so it contacts this other object."   I do that, then
> move it back by the required clearance distance.     When working to 0.001"
> using eyeballs and scales don't work.

That's different, make sense then components are placed on circuit board though
only in two dimensions. On circuits boards it is common area not used for
traces/connections are filled with copper, this happens automatically
internally, growing trace/connection with clearance using boolean operator is a
method to clear the path thru copper areas.

It is a little bit interesting CAD system for mechanics have quite much in
common with CAD system for circuit boards. Think it should be rather straight
forward although a lot of work to export the geometries on circuit board to
mechanical CAD software, manufacturers sometimes have 3D models available for
there components, quite commonly in .step format.

> If boring a bearing I'd say to make the hole "shaft diameter + twice the
> clearance"  With gears yu now the pitch diameter so you place the gear
> shafts at "pitch diameter A + pitch diameter B + required clearance"
> Almost all CAD system allow dimension to be expressed as formulas
>
> A good CAD system is very much like working on a mill, you would touch the
> part then move from that reference.  The only hard references I would use
> come from external requirements.  Others are calculated.  Never trust your
> eyes or hands.

Used mechanical CAD system very little.