On Monday 15 June 2020 19:24:25 Bruce Layne wrote:

> If you're zeroing the nozzle .0005" above the bed and getting a
> transparent first layer, there's a good chance the nozzle is too close
> to dispense a bead of plastic, because that's exactly how it looks.
> You should be able to use a slightly thicker shim to zero the nozzle
> and fine tune the first layer height as a setting in the slicer.  That
> way, the hardware settings remain standard and you can have different
> slicer profiles for printing different materials if you should need
> slight changes in first layer height, although the defaults should
> work well if the hardware is dialed in properly.  If you're dragging
> the nozzle too close to the bed and you're trying to fix that by
> arbitrarily cranking up the extrusion rate, that's a recipe for a
> clogged nozzle and those are no fun.  I'd recommend the process that
> Andy described where you mark 120mm back on the filament, tell it to
> dispense 100mm of filament, measure the filament to the mark and
> adjust the extrusion rate until it dispenses 100mm and leaves 20mm
> above the extruder.
>
> The plastic bed surfaces vary in their ability to accept a first layer
> and the surface of the ones I've tried seem to be constantly wearing
> out with every print so the print surface keeps changing and what
> worked before no longer works.  Quality is doing the same thing every
> time, and I never found that to be possible with a plastic print
> surface.  The first thing I do with a new printer is preheat the bed
> to 110C to soften the plastic sheet adhesive and peel off the plastic
> sheet.  I now leave the adhesive on the table and use it to adhere a
> sheet of borosilicate glass.  If not, then the glass can be held in
> place with binder clips, but be careful not to crash a nozzle into a
> binder clip.  The glass works great with the jumbo size Elmer's
> X-treme glue stick, with PLA (bed temperature of 40C) or ABS (bed
> temperature of 110C).  It takes only a few seconds to apply a thin
> film of glue to the room temperature glass bed and cleanup requires
> only water and a paper towel.  Prints stick great.  ABS pops off when
> it cools.  If the PLA doesn't release enough when cool, a teaspoon of
> water around the outside of the print will float the part off the bed
> in a few minutes, and you'd be watering the glass bed anyway to clean
> off the glue after every print.  If you are having trouble getting
> prints to stick, or you need to use force to remove parts after
> they've printed, then you're doing it wrong.  If you don't want to
> order a borosilicate glass bed for your printer, you can get a sheet
> of window glass or a mirror tile at your local home store. They'll
> probably cut it to fit your printer.
>
> I've been doing production printing lately and I'm definitely not
> messing around with problematic first layer adhesion.  Get it right
> and it's easy peasey, and reliable enough that I'll start a print and
> [...]
Didn't rip it up, but still was only about window screen wire dense for
top and bottom layers so I looked around the house for something that
might seal it up and wound up painting it with new skin. Which will seal
up the pores between strings. Put it on the machine, and 1mm up for a
3rd copy I can see its a heck of a lot crisper, its not pulling the
string out of shape/loose near as bad.  I might do a sprocket for a
lights out project just to see if that sharpens up the bar edges of an
XL pulley.  That can use all the help it can get.

The glass idea seems like a good one, but is it flat enough?  Glass as
you should know isn't a solid, but a supercooled liquid and will flow
sorta by the same mechanism that lets a glacier move over time, often
being twice as thick at the bottom of a light as it is at the top after
hanging vertically for 100 years.  Or is that why you said borosilicate?
Its more stable?

Thanks Chris.

 - Louis D. Brandeis