FreeCAD is Open Source.   You can add any new feature to it you want.

But for simple engraving dxf2gcode or maybe pycam works.  Both are open
source and written in Python and should run on any computer.  Fusion360
will create the vCare-like tool paths also it does parallel passes or
watermark or one followed by the other to reduce stairstep effect.   There
seem to be many ways to get this done.

I think LinuxCNC even has an image to g-code feature. Has anyone used it?
http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.4/html/gui_image-to-gcode.html

<http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.4/html/gui_image-to-gcode.html>
T <http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.4/html/gui_image-to-gcode.html>he trouble
is that most people get settled in on some method and stop experimenting
once they find something that works.  Al of this software are moving
targets and are evolving.

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 1:18 AM Lester Caine <les...@lsces.uk> wrote:

> On 29/06/2020 01:10, Chris Albertson wrote:
> > I've been hunting and following up leads but I've not seen a complete
> free
> > CAM system.   Maybe Fusion's comes closest.
> >
> > A good project would be for someone to make a feature matrix.
>
> That would certainly be useful. I still use vCarve when I need a really
> quick set of gCode or engrave text and the v tool capabilities are not
> something one sees so much elsewhere? One of the few packages still
> sitting on the windows machine while my main desktop is linux.
>
> The ONE thing that would be nice is if FreeCAD could be extended on the
> fly. And it may be that this can already be done. So that additional
> path processes can be added between versions? 3D surfaces and vCarve as
> bolt in extras. It is essentially a scripting system running scripts so
> adding extra scripts should be easy?
>
> --
> Lester Caine - G8HFL

Chris Albertson