On 7/9/20 6:47 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
OK, got it a "Dob, on a Ea, platform and the platform on an Az, El mount.

Yup.

Again PWM is "Pisle Width Modulation"  Steppers and stepper drivers don't
use PWM.  They use what we cal "Pulse/Direction"
I didn't know that,  I read the product manual, it mentioned PWM, with some specs, I tried that, seems to kinda work....   well work as in a  okcupid profile that says "I don't like drama and games" but some how it doesn't seem to do what expected.

PWM uses a constant square wave rate like that is always between 60 Hz and
maybe up to 1,000 Hz.  What changes is the "duty cycle" or the ratio of
"on" to "off".  But it just runs at about 60Hz.  PWM uses just one wire.

Right,  and some hardware let's you pick the frequency, up front..  and then change the duty cycles.  that is what I figured. However, I saw in the manual,  the "high" side of the pulse in the duty cycle" lasts always 2.5usec and you change the length of the cycle. To me that just seems that you change the duty cycle, relative to the frequency...   as in the frequency is determined by how you build the cycles..   which is what I see happening.

Pulse/Direction uses two wires.  One sends a single pulse each time the
motor needs to move a step and the other wire is either "1" or "0" to
indicate the direction, either backward or forward.

correct,  direction is either constantly high, or constantly low..  for how long you want it...   and that works perfectly

With this type of system I don't think you worry about minor things like
atmospheric refraction of structural flex.  You can just run at a constant
rate.

Yes ..  at this point I am not worried about that. I want to make a "mechanical" precise contraption.

I am wondering why you selected a Raspberry Pi and not some micro
controller.  Perhaps you are planning a user interface that is complex?

well..  sort of.  I am planning on one that does the "positioning,  one that does the imagng  and if needed one that does that "positioning"

I use them because they are easy to use,  run Linux, I know Linux, hardware..  I can hook it up to a network,  and see if I canhave Stellarium" send coordinates to it at some point. It is more a "olution" that I can build on and expand....   if I wanted to.   There are very compact  solutions to use,  that are cheaper, easier etc..   BUT  I want o build my own my way,.

I built a seismograph like that, could be done easier/cheaper, but I wanted to build an online one and do it myself ...   just because I can ..   and because I think it can be done.

I'm a researcher/scientist,  I like to build things so I can figure out how it works...

All you software needs to do is generate  plusle each time the motr needs
to step.   For the motor that runs the EQ platform this step rate is fixed
forever.  For the other two they can step at whatever rate do want.

Yes exactly,  that is what I noticed.  I can move the stepper at pretty much any desired rate/speed I want,  pretty precise, and.. if it runs at the exact right speed.  that would be cool.

BUT,  I want to know how to figure out how to run it at the exact right speed, with the exact right power, optimally, as best as I can ..   and not by trial and error and decide "yeah good enough",  I want to calculate it.

So that is why I want to understand what the best way is , software wise, to drive those steppers,  to run those motors, algorithm wise.

Why encoders?  If the motors are proerly sized they will never skip steps
and you can count steps to know where you are.  If you put on encoders you
just need to  encoder steps

The encoders are just there to check,  and fun to play with..  or more seriously...

I use the encoders similar to a prenup,  hope I don't need it/them to correct  mis-steps...  but it doesn't hurt to have