Hello,

this is (probably) off topic, been seen that happen.  If it is please ignore it.

I am building a "motorized"  telescope mount (dobsonian) with what is called an equatorial platform, it has 3 axis which I am going to drive with stepper motors.

The stepper motors I use with a stepper driver, those common DM542 ones, the stepper motors themselves are 2A and 1.8 degrees per step.

What I want to accomplish with the equatorial platform)  (it compensates for the rotation of the earth) is that,  the start and end position accuracy is not that important,  smooth and constant/consistent movement is.  for the azimuth/altitude precision is not a really big deal, but you'd want to move these 2 axis  somewhat swift.

So there are a few factors to decide.

I probably want micro stepping,  what settings on the driver for pulses per rev, is best to use (or is that just trial and error?)

As with PWM itself, I am probably just not too familiar with it. From what I understand, the voltage I use for the motors determines how fast I can go (I am going to use a 48V switching power supply).

as for PWM,  I can of course  change the length of the pulse itself  and, independently, change the time between two pulses. What is the relation ship there?  WHat does a longer  width of the pulse itself do?  and what exactly does a longer gap between the pulses do (of course the wider the gap between two pulses the slower the motor turns).

for, especially, the equatorial platform, I want to avoid "jerking" it,  meaning  starting and stopping the stepper motor as little as possible and just go at a 'slow' constant speed.

sorry if totally of topic....

thanks,

Ron