from what I understand,  worm gears work really well  and because of the reduction, the motor needs to sping at a decent rpm, it doesn't have tospin that slow. I am using steppers, because it is easy to count the steps and then calibrate because of how much you're drifting.While with a regular DC motor you could only do something like that in a Monte-Carlo/binary kinda way. also, adjusting DC motors is not necessarilly  linear and since adjusting a stepper is "discrete" it would be way easier.