On Thursday 09 July 2020 19:05:45 R C wrote:

> [...]
> > pushing the ratings of a DM542 which is 50 volts max, and you would
> > be wise to adjust it a few volts lower. I have a pair of 7.5 amp 48
> > volt supplies running my 11x56 Sheldon lathe, but they are turned
> > down to 42.5 volts, much safer, and it still marches at way faster
> > speeds than needed for a good cut.
>
> I can do that, I can put a voltage regulator between them.   What do
> you mean by "safer" btw?
>
> >> as for PWM,  I can of course  change the length of the pulse itself
> >> and, independently, change the time between two pulses. What is the
> >> relation ship there?  WHat does a longer  width of the pulse itself
> >> do?  and what exactly does a longer gap between the pulses do (of
> >> course the wider the gap between two pulses the slower the motor
> >> turns).
> >>

> >> for, especially, the equatorial platform, I want to avoid "jerking"
> >> it,  meaning  starting and stopping the stepper motor as little as
> >> possible and just go at a 'slow' constant speed.
> >
> > LinuxCNC has "adjustment knobs" for that, but are set with a text
> > editor and forgotten once done.  Slewing to another star can be done
> > with a second or more to get to speed, and a slowdown in approaching
> > the new target so "jerk" can be very low.
>
> I am not too worried about that part,  zooming in on an object, that
> is fine,  I could do that  manually, well remotely.  and once "locked
> in" keep it steady and start the EQ platform.
>
> I am also terribly worried about the "Go To" features of the
> telescope.  I am planning on a good camera on the telescope,  and a
> "cheap" camera on the finder scope. Ultimately I want to use
> Stellarium,  and maybe even use the Stellarium connection features to
> connect to the telescope (this project is going to take a while).
>
> > The problem I see in moving a Dob is in the kinematics conversion
> > because its axis's for az-el need to be mapped to the location on
> > the planet for the base motors movements. A newtonian on a polar
> > mount cancels 99.99% of that because the 2 axis's are 90 degrees to
> > each other, the Dob mount is not.
>
> That is correct,  but that would be a "way later" thing to play
> with..  that part would definitely need some geometry and math
> trickery.
>
> All the "pivoting" points are offset to eich other...   when the
> platform moves, the whole telescope is tilting, etc etc etc...
>
> >> sorry if totally of topic....
> >
> > Not totally.  Might be an interesting diversion. :)  But I'll let
> > some of our better maths people comment on the kinematics.
>
> Cool, well I am glad you see it like this. Basically what I am
> thinking is,  OK,  my mill has 3 stepper drivers/motors,  and that
> telescope does too (once I built it like that)...   and ..  same
> hardware, same motors, same stepper-drivers...    So "these emc-user"
> guys  must know how to work that hardware..    because both my
> Sherline mill and lathe are working just fine  using it with the same
Well, I don't see a problem, except your fascination with PWM which isn't
normally used to drive steppers. Thats not saying it won't, because it
will, but normal wiring TO the DM542 has a fixed 5 or 3.3 wired to all
the + input terminals. The controlling logic is wired to the -
terminals.  Why, sound upside down, but most logic circuits can sink
around 10 times the currant when driving a logic zero than the can
source driving a logic one, so you get a much solider driving signal
into the opto-isolator in the DM542. Then, again generally speaking this
logic zero is the step command on its falling edge, and because the opto
stuff is slow, the pulse is usually at least 3.5 u-secs just to make
sure its recognized, else shorter times, like the 2.5 u-secs you quoted
someplace, may occasionally miss a pulse, playing hob with the accuracy
of your tracking over the length of a photo exposure.  Thats the last
thing you need.

The last time I looked at stellarium, it had some sort of an interface to
drive the scope,  And I have a 10" Meade Newtonium that really needs
better mirrors.  But where I live, the horizon is at a 10 to 25 degree
up angle, so I didn't set it up in a permanent house, or try to hook it
up to stellarium. I can just barely get down to polaris to align it.  If
I had another 20 years which I don't as I'm now 85 with a chest full of
replacement parts, I might have considered it.

One thing I might consider is belt drives, using very fine toothed
pulleys like a 3d printer uses, but since your motions are under 180
degrees, I'd use smooth turned wheels, fastening the belt in slots in
the far side of a good sized wheel. Cheap, zero backlash, unlike an
expen$ive worm drive.  Those belts are generally kevlar or dacron
backed, and zero stretch under long term tension. Buy them by the foot.
Use the money you save to buy your suds come your birthday. ;-)

> Ron
>
> >> thanks,
> >>

> >> Ron

 - Louis D. Brandeis