right that is how most people use it...   BUT it would still be hard to calibrate the movement to the earths rotation.

and also  ..   I just want to do it with steppers   :)    I am weird

On 7/10/20 8:14 PM, Ken Strauss wrote:
You could use the DC motor + PID exactly the same as using steppers. With the
encoders you would always know the exact angle though which the motor had
rotated. The advantage would be the lack of any jerks in motion which are
inherent with a stepper. Have you considered using the Clearpath units? See
https://www.teknic.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: R C [mailto:cjv...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2020 10:05 PM
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] off topic: pwm with a stepper driver/motor

yep..  true..  but it is also knd of what I do for a living...

I think it can be done,  to build an equatorial platform, and really
control it's speed/angle over time.

On 7/10/20 7:52 PM, Ken Strauss wrote:
I also waste a lot of time exploring different ways of doing things but
frequently end up doing it the traditional way. One should never just
accept
"how it is done" but for many (most?) things there are good reasons for
traditional ways.