I recently discovered geared stepper motors.

http://www.zyltech.com/nema-17-stepper-motor-geared-planetary-gearbox-1-7-a-3-1-nm-435-ozin/

I've been happy with zyltech in the past.  I bought one of these for evluation, but the specs seem to be great for CNC. Low enough current to work with a stepstick, High enough torque for a fairly powerful machine, and less than 4 mH inductance should let it step pretty fast.

5.18:1 gear ratio should reduce that 4 meter spur gear, but the link below has higher gear ratios that would reduce that spur gear greatly! Backlash could be a problem for CNC, but if you are only going one way, the less precision gearboxes might be fine.

https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/geared-stepper-motor/?sort=p.price&order=ASC

Once you visit the stepperonline web page you know as much about them as I do, but their offerings might be just right for your application.