Is the 7i92 less expensive?  Do we even know the price of this USB->DB25
device?

What is really needed is for someone to write firmware for the common
STM32F103 "Blue Pill".  These have the hardware to do things like step gen
and quadrature decode  at MHz speeds and talk to the PC over SPI I2C or USB
and cost under $3 from 100 different vendors.   I use these for motion
control when I can but not with Linux CNC.     It is really "just a matter
of software" but I'm not about to spend months of my time to save the cost
of a 7i92.

Take a look at the photo on the link below.  I can imagine one of these
connected via USB to a Pi4 or PC and then all those pins are available
for machine
control.  Some of those pins can be connected to hardware counters that can
counts steps or make pulses with no software.  I've been able to read shaft
encoders that are driven by an 11,000 motor and run the PID loop on the $3
part, not on the PC.       But to use these with LCNC you have to write
firmware and a matching HAL component.  Mesa has already done this for
their hardware saving me months of work for only $90.     But still think how
nice a $3 real-time LCNC interface card would be.
ebay.com/itm/STM32F103C8T6-ARM-STM32-Minimum-System...
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/STM32F103C8T6-ARM-STM32-Minimum-System-Development-Module-For-1pcs-V3X7/133446453174?hash=item1f120747b6:g:GxMAAOSwc59e8cuM>

The argument that USB is "slow" is untrue.  USB allows you to set on an
"isochronous" channel with real-time continuous data flow.  It will deliver
data at a guaranteed rate.  Think about a webcam sending 100 frames of
video data per second and not dropping frames.   That is way more then you
need to drive a milling machine.     Yes, you do get low perfomenace if the
USB is emulating a serial port. but there as modes that allow real-time
that are mostly intended for audio and visual data that could work well.

This is for Windows not Linux but it works on all USB ports the same way.
Take a look it is pretty much exaclty how you would use USB for real-time
machine control
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/usbcon/transfer-data-to-isochronous-endpoints

But again, it would take months to write a HAL component that connects to a
$3 SMT32F103 part over a USB isochronous endpoint.

Just perhaps this is what the guys in Poland did then they are selling a $2
chip burried in a $10 cable for $100 each?  It could work.

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 9:52 AM John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>
wrote:

> This might have been mentioned on the MACH CNC group but the reality is
that if you want LinuxCNC and two parallel ports the MESA 7i92 is less
expensive and not tied to potential speed issues via USB.   For example
WIN-10 won't run the USB based Smooth Stepper  but will run the Ethernet
Smooth Stepper with MACH4.

> So for LinuxCNC at $89 the 7i92H is just overall a better deal.  Or any
of the MESA or PICO based products.  For all the costs involved in CNC the
truth is during the learning curve part the broken tool bits and trashed
work is far more expensive but considered part of the costs.  Ethernet is
faster and less likely to have timing issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txivr8j86t8&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR04UYfSGbRucny1aek0HVgJGrBkG0FiaxosNx_DQ
> > iKoZXNBPOXl1Raue3A
> >
> > Dave

Chris Albertson