On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 5:16 PM andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 at 21:18, Dave Matthews <n36...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The examples that I have found are for Mesa cards and seem to have a
> > lot of stuff in them that I don't have in my .ini and .hal files.
>
> Have you looked at the supplied sim-axis-gantry config?

I am pretty sure I looked at it but didn't see the homing switches for
both sides.

> > Any hints on where I can find the docs on editing the ini and hal
> > files to add the second Y home switch and having 4 joint homing?
>
> The important parts are the [KINS] section and the homing sequence
> numbers for the joints here:
> https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master/configs/sim/axis/gantry/gantry.ini

That is what I have been looking for for months.  Thank you.  The
magic section is at the top:
      [KINS]
     JOINTS = 4
     KINEMATICS = trivkins coordinates=XYZY kinstype=BOTH
     # Notes:
     # KINEMATICS coordinates=value MUST agree with [TRAJ]COORDINATES
     #

-----

> There is a bit more detail here:
> http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/config/ini-homing.html#_home_sequence

I read through that but didn't absorb the config changes from it.

> But, basically, wire up the home switches and make some very small
> tweaks to the INI. There isn't much to find as there isn't much to do.
>
> And I _think_ that Stepconf knows how to do it, so you could make a
> config from scratch that matches your machine for reference.

I couldn't find a way to make Stepconf do it.  I tried both motors on
Y and it did what I currently have.  It wouldn't allow two switches to
be defined on the Y axis.

>From that example I should be able to set it up.  I may put together
the simple how to steps writeup on exactly what to edit and why.
Without that github file it is clear as mud.

Dave