I'm not going to be any help there either.  Never tried to retrofit a Fanuc
machine.  But my understanding is the older the better for trying to retrofit.
The newer all digital amps (they are more amps than drives because even the
commutation is done in the control) with optical connections and wonky hi-res
serial absolute encoders are all but impossible.

For PLC editing start by looking at the PLC, then try to make a change (make
sure it is backed up first),  Does your machine have a PC front end?  (The
machines I'm working with all have a PC running the user interface under
Windows 2k or XP.)  If so, check the HD for Fanuc software such as the "Ladder
Editing Package".  Our machines that don't  have LEP you can look at and edit
the PLC through the user interface pressing SYSTEM/PMC/PMCLAD.  It is possible
editing will be write protected, you might have to contact the machine
manufacturer or the machine manuals, to get a password to unlock the write
protection.  Even when unlocked you will have to have the machine in MDI mode
and set the PWE bit to allow editing (you should also probably have it in
e-stop as well).  Changes you make don't actually take effect until you save
and reload the PLC.

Be careful, you can truly screw something up messing around in there if you
don't know what you are doing.

Todd Zuercher
P. Graham Dunn Inc.
630 Henry Street