I forget what version of the Fanuc Controllers this applies to, but there were some controllers that had a compact flash slot on the front. The compact flash slot was used to load and read out the PLC program logic and the other controller settings.   The programming was done offline on a laptop and the logic was written to the compact flash module, then the module was used to load the controllers memory.
It was awkward.
You needed a $$ license to run the software.
This was years ago, but the Fanuc tech guy was charging way over $200/hr to make changes.
Dave