On Thursday 12 November 2020 12:00:20 Dave Cole wrote:

> I have been using Pink RV antifreeze for years in my horizontal
> bandsaw.   The pump has been submersed in it for 7 years or so.    I
> never goes bad and stuff never seems to grow in it, but it does
> evaporate slowly.   I just add more. I use it full strength.   The
> Anticorrosives in it seem to keep rust at bay as well.   Its a generic
> 7x10 bandsaw.
> I buy the stuff anyway to winterize my boat, so I always have some
> around.  Last time I bought it for just over $2/gallon.
>
> Distilled water is quite corrosive.   I would avoid that by itself.
> See the link below:
>
> https://www.corrosionpedia.com/definition/407/distilled-water#:~:text=
>Despite%20its%20benefits%2C%20distilled%20water,carbon%20dioxide%20from
>%20the%20air.

The high cost of distilled at the store, and the limited supply's on the
shelf when you need to clean up a watercooled transmitter that may need
500 gallons a whack, long ago drove us broadcasters to de-ionized water.
Commonly obtained from tap water for makeup, a Culligan de-ionizer can,
when setup as a 10 gallon an hour bypass off the main 10 hp pump,
usually an 80-100 gallon a minute Ingersol-Rand with an all bronze head.
Can clean up what we captured off the roof of the transmitter building
on a mountaintop in about 24 hours, and in 96 hours can give a probe it
with a dvm reading that's higher than the 20 to 100 megs top reading of
such a $30 meter. To give you folks an idea of the diff it makes, when I
walked in the door at wdtv-5 in Oct of '84, they were scheduling an
overnight downtime at 6 month intervals that often ran till hours after
the signon time the next morning while we replaced a good share of the
plumbing fittings that corrosion had nearly destroyed with the
electrolysis from running 50 gallons a minute thru the finals, running
at 7200 volts on the other end of the hoses, could do to the fittings
inside the ends of the hookup hoses. I installed a Culligan de-ionizer
on a bypass circuit. Took a couple $100 recharges of that a year because
our makeup water was off the building roof. I replaced the leakage
meter, a 100 ma model, with a 50 microamp version and instructed the
operators to log the reading daily and call me when it got up to 10
microamps. On June 30th 2008 when I was long retired, and that then 65
yo GE analog transmitter site was turned off forever, the system had not
been hardly touched except to refresh that cartridge. I had cut 2" off
the hoses to inspect the barbs, and replaced the hoses once because they
were so age hardened I could drive the barbs back into them. In about 17
years the last time I looked at them the brass hose barbs were
discolored but otherwise undamaged by any further corrosion. Its all in
how good a condition you keep the water in.  And it costs a lot less
overall to do it right.  Distilled water isn't near as good as
de-ionized can be, but I'll run it anyway since I can't buy even a
throwaway cartridge that small. I wish I could.

> However I buy gallons of distilled water from the market to dilute
> full strength auto antifreeze.

That stuff is poison to such a transmitter, those additives make it
essentially a short circuit, so we used technical grade ethylene glycol,
max 30% because it also makes the water carry less heat per gallon and
more viscous and hard to pump at the 70+ GPM needed by each of a pair of
$125,000 4KM100LA klystrons. Today we'ed use a 20hp pump and a vfd to
maintain the flow, plus air flow louvers we thermostaticly closed to
keep it from freezing in a -25F Nebraska winter.

Yeah, you could say I've been there and done that. ;-)
> Dave
>
> On 11/9/2020 10:58 PM, dave engvall wrote:
> > IIRC RV grade antifreeze is propylene glycol and often flavored with
> > a bit of methyl salicylate. Easy to tell if you have it all flushed
> > out. You will be able to taste the oil of wintergreen long after the
> > pink dye is gone.
> >
> > Dave

> >> I'll get some 50-50, about 5 gallons and change it. After only
> >> minimal useage for a year, this stuff is really ugly pink snot. I
> >> need to caulk around the line cord too as that is the only place
> >> insects can get in an drown. The rv stuff must smell good to them.
> >>
> >> The amplifier came back. I'll send a check Monday.
> >>
> >> Thanks Jon.

 - Louis D. Brandeis