Andy,

Thanks for the suggestions, I think that is really helpful. I will have to
look at the docs for this stuff.

As for the lathe it is actually a model 1550 NC even though the swing is
14". I have the manual for it and it has a complete parts breakdown with
illustrations. It looks like the original machine had encoders. The spindle
encoder is still on the machine and I think it is the original  The encoder
for the main leadscrew was mounted at the end of the screw but it doesn't
look like the original.
The manual also says the "parts shown" are for serial numbers 1550001 - to
_______. Note that I have number 1550003. The way some of the limit
switches were mounted and wired using conduit fittings seemed kind of "home
brew" to me, but functional, and when I look at the manual it looks
like that is really the way this machine was made.
I am really excited about the thought of getting this machine running.
Being a 1972 model machine, the tool capability is kind of limited. There
are only 4 tool positions and it would be difficult to rework the tool post
to accept some kind of quick change tooling, but I will deal with that
after I get it running. The DC spindle motor and variable speed
(mechanical) drive has been replaced with a 5 Hp 3 phase induction motor.
The lathe also has a 3 speed gear box incorporated into the headstock.

John Figie