On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 at 00:52, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> I currently have a 5i25, driving a cnc4pc c1g bob on P2, with a 7i76D on
> P3. I can use the spindle controls of the 7i76D or I might be able to
> talk to it thru rs485. Which is the better control, and if its the
> rs485, what module does that need

RS485 is likely to give more info about what is going on inside the
VFD, but will have worse real-time performance. So not as good for CSS
on a lathe but probably OK on a mill.
(Except it might introduce some dither on where the reverse is when
rigid tapping)

But RS485 is only an option if there is an existing LinuxCNC driver,
or you want to write one.

I am using this to hook up my high-speed spindle:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DSD-TECH-SH-U13-Alligator-Compatible-black/dp/B082KKG55T
With the alligator clips cut off.
No, before you say it, they probably won't deliver to you, but you can
probably find the same thing  from a US vendor.

--
atp
lunatics."