On Friday 04 December 2020 06:24:06 andy pugh wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 at 00:52, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> > I currently have a 5i25, driving a cnc4pc c1g bob on P2, with a
> > 7i76D on P3. I can use the spindle controls of the 7i76D or I might
> > be able to talk to it thru rs485. Which is the better control, and
> > if its the rs485, what module does that need
>
> RS485 is likely to give more info about what is going on inside the
> VFD, but will have worse real-time performance. So not as good for CSS
> on a lathe but probably OK on a mill.

Ok, I'll run this one by the conventional means. Not that CSS is any
great use on a BBLB gantry.

> (Except it might introduce some dither on where the reverse is when
> rigid tapping)

Not to even be tried w/o an encoder.  And I've not seen one of these
spindles with an encoder yet. With a synchronous motor maybe but all I
can see in my minds eye is burned up and broken tooling.  I do enough of
that un-intentionally. :(

> But RS485 is only an option if there is an existing LinuxCNC driver,
> or you want to write one.
>
> I am using this to hook up my high-speed spindle:
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/DSD-TECH-SH-U13-Alligator-Compatible-black/dp
>/B082KKG55T With the alligator clips cut off.
> No, before you say it, they probably won't deliver to you, but you can
> probably find the same thing  from a US vendor.

I am usually on the lookout for such gizmo's but don't recall seeing it,
looks and sounds handy as a test tool though.

But I don't expect to do any rigid tapping on any machine with one of
these spindles.  Not enough torque and no encoder driven tach.  Thread
milling maybe but haven't tripped over any mills small enough to do the
threads I'd need. I do have one thread mill, but I bought it by mistake
and if I ever need to thread a really really large hole, I do have
a .750 inch diameter thread mill. :)

Thanks Andy.

 - Louis D. Brandeis