On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 at 15:06, Matthew Herd <herd.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I’ve had a chance to do some reading.  In particular, I’ve been contemplating
> Jon’s approach and the spindle component.  The manual is very interesting
> because the spindle component seems to include most of the functionality I
> need.

I have found that the "Spindle" manpage is wrong in some details, I
will attempt to fix it.
Also there is a real risk of a namespace clash with motion hal pins
since the 2.8 update, so it is probably worth using the "names"
parameter to rename the comp pins.

I suggest playing with it in an interactive hal session. See if the
inputs and outputs do what you want.

Open a terminal, and with linuxcnc not running:

halrun
loadrt spindle names=spindlegear numgears=2
loadrt threads
addf spindlegear.0 thread1
start

{You now have a very basic HAL system running realtime, and containing
only the spindle component.
Now you can experiment with the behaviour}

show pin
{Will show all the pins)

{Let's load a halmeter to look at the output}
loadusr halmeter pin spindlegear.0.output

{Now fiddle with inputs and outputs to see what happens. You can use
tab-completion to save typing}
setp spindlegear.0.scale.0    1
setp spindlegear.0.scale.1    8.3
setp spindlegear.0.select.1  1