On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 at 11:47, Matthew Herd <herd.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I might take a look at modifying the component.  I’m comfortable with C, so
> perhaps I can work it out pretty quickly.

.comp is C with some headers to create HAL pins.

You should be able to just edit the gearchange.comp file (probably
best to rename the file and set the "component" line in the header to
match the new name) and then:

sudo halcompile --install path/to/flle.comp

Will compile and install it on your system.

Reference docs:
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/hal/comp.html

Custom .comps really unlock the power of HAL.

--
atp
lunatics."