> From: andy pugh [mailto:bodge...@gmail.com]
> On Mon, 1 Feb 2021 at 21:49, John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com> wrote:
>
> > Anyway the plan was to at some time create an ELS controlled movable back
> > fence for the 3:1 tool and an XY movement system for
> the Arbor press to give me limited punching capabilities like the attached
> picture.
>
> I have thought that this would be a good thing to have if I ever get
> round to making a CNC slotting head for my milling machine (Or if I
> find an OEM one for the mill at a reasonable price[1])

What's a CNC slotting head?

> Have you seen the Trumpf CNC punches? Fascinating machines:
> https://youtu.be/-xOR42xho9I

Yes. I've seen similar machines in real life punching the back plate of my ELS
kit.  Alas that company isn't there anymore.

> I think that one limitation of such a device would be throat depth.
> The Trumpf machines have a huge one.

True.  The photo I attached was of a arbor press with a much deeper throat.
The limitation ultimately is the size of the box foldable by either a box pan
brake (say 12") or the 3:1 tool which in my case is 30" but they do come
smaller.    So punching half and then rotating the material by 180 degrees and
punching the other half does effectively double the depth.

If it came down to needing something larger it could always be fabricated.

John