I've posted this under a new subject because Andy's EDM project had me looking
through 25 year old copies of MEW and Home Shop Machinist etc.  Brought back
memories of building the Gingery Hacksaw and Slip Roll so I could fabricate the
propane fired foundry in order to be able to make the Gingery lathe.  Which I
did and that spawned the Electronic Lead Screw project back in 2006.

The plan was to also make the shaper and mill but as luck would have it I ended
up with a used metal bandsaw,  a 1942 vintage South Bend Heavy 10L with taper
attachment and finally a House of Tools Mill (similar to the now discontinued
G3616 from Grizzly).  I also purchased a 3 Ton Arbor press and a 30" 3:1 sheet
metal tool along with a corner notcher.  My shop isn't large enough to fit a
box pan brake or larger separate shear.

Anyway the plan was to at some time create an ELS controlled movable back fence
for the 3:1 tool and an XY movement system for the Arbor press to give me
limited punching capabilities like the attached picture.

Now 14 years later I'm running out of ELS kits and still haven't built the back
fence control and China dominates the cheap market with Encoders, Arduinos and
stepper drivers.  Not to mention far less expensive linear rails and carriages.

Given that I had a Pi4 with the MESA 7i92H running my mill for a while it seems
like LinuxCNC may be a better choice for both the 3:1 back fence and XY
positioning simply because it's an easy way to bring in the sequences.  One
really only needs a few different size punches in square, triangle and round to
be able to nibble out most holes in sheet metal thin enough for working with a
3:1 tool.

But there's also a company nearby me that has a laser cutting system that can
now operate lights out.  The sheets are picked, placed, punched and removed all
automatically.  So for production it's not logical to do that sort of thing in
house.  They also bend metal.

But, for that prototype or hobby, just like having a CNC Mill and Lathe, being
able to bend and punch metal does come in handy.  Especially since I do more
electronics than machining; at the moment.  The 3D printer now also finds a
place that was there 25 years ago but done with other technologies.   Where
before I'd bend up a box to hold an ESTOP switch now I 3D print switch holders
and boxes for electronics.

What I'm wondering is if it's worth the trouble to add XY to a 3 ton arbour
press.  The back fence for the 3:1 tool is almost done so it's just a matter of
finishing it.  But I can't see how any of the CAD/CAM software out there
addresses using a small punch to nibble out a larger hole.  And truthfully my
JGRO based CNC router with a small end mill can just as easily cut out metal
plate.  Or for that matter the mill.

The shearing, bending and rolling are still valid operations.  The press is
still handing for pressing broaches through holes or bearings etc.  But is an
XY punch even worth the effort?  So many of the projects from 1995 to about
2005 in the magazines were pretty cool but from a time when some things just
weren't available at low cost.  Now I think one would have to be nuts to try
and build your own CNC mill from bar stock and rails.

John Dammeyer

"ELS! Nothing else works as well for your Lathe"
Automation Artisans Inc.
www dot autoartisans dot com