> From: andy pugh [mailto:bodge...@gmail.com]
> On Wed, 3 Feb 2021 at 03:28, John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com> wrote:
>
> > > The idea would be to have a CNC controlled tool rotation combined with
> > > the conventional reciprocation.
>
> > Is that what you mean?
>
> No. The slotting tool will run up and down continuously on the spindle
> motor, as usual.
> But the tool will also have the ability to rotate on the C' axis.
>
> Think in terms of a Fellows gear shaper.

I watched a few of the Fellows gear shaper videos.  Gave me an idea.  I have an
AC servo on the knee.  I've thought about adding motion to the quill but I do
like the option for manual operation for some things.

But how about on the quill installing a 4 start 1 TPI ball screw.  With an
appropriate servo with a 1000 line encoder in quadrature there's still 0.00025"
resolution.  But at the same time a fairly fast motion along with rotation on
the C axis.  So a vertical shaper behaviour for something like keyways or for
internal gear teeth.

Theoretically a lever on a pot could also be used as the feed handle for the 1
TPI screw retaining the mechanical ability.  Probably need a switch on the
quill clamping lever too.

John