If you have nothing else to do download the demo for SynergyCAD. Parasoiid based. 2-D, 2.5D, wireframe, solids. lathe, edm.
For the lathe you draw in X,Y and it transforms it to Z, X when you CAM.
I started from scratch and it took me a long time to get comfortable with it. Exports are dxf, dwg which tend to be problematical and iges. ... runs on Windoze with  some limitations but those limitations go away with Linux.
Their forte was extrusion screws back when the only program was DOS based.
 YMMV.

Dave