> From: Todd Zuercher [mailto:to...@pgrahamdunn.com]
> The trajectory planner obeys the MAX_ACCELERATION, the problem is when you
> throw backlash compensation in on top of it.  The
> Step generator then needs the extra headroom in STEPGEN _MAXACCEL to catch up
> with where the trajectory planner is
> commanding it to be plus the backlash take up move.  So the real problem is
> that the trajectory planner doesn't account for
> backlash, that is something added in on top of it's calculations.

OK.  That makes sense then.  A short move in the opposite direction and then
back in the other requires extra time for the backlash compensation but the
trajectory planner doesn't have that information.  So it blindly assumes that
the machine has 0 backlash.

Doesn't explain why I've been able to run with too low a setting for
STEPGEN_MAXACCEL for so long without ever having a Following Error but add the
weight and it's an instant failure.  Which still suggests Ethernet packets are
probably also being corrupted.

I'll still change to a CAT7 or CAT8 shielded cable.  Just in case.

Thanks everyone.
John