I'm going to guess that low-level I/O error is a general
_Following_Error_Joint_2_?

No. It is a different error. I can't remember the exact wording but I have seen it before.

The following error message is correct. With steppers you have two acceleration settings. There is the joint acceleration which is used by the trajectory planner and the stepgen acceleration. STEPGEN_MAXACCEL is used to simulate the physical limits of the stepper and it's load. It's a simulated equivalent to to a servo motor running out of torque. If the trajectory planner commands a higher acceleration than STEPGEN_MAXACCEL the stepgen will not be able to keep up and you get a following error in exactly the same way you would on a servo system that ran out of torque.

Les