> From: Peter C. Wallace [mailto:p...@mesanet.com]
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2021, John Dammeyer wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 23:11:23 -0800
> > From: John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>

> > Hi Gene, My AC Servo is run open loop with step/dir.  It's not the Servo
> > Driver that is calling out a following error.  It's LinuxCNC that also has
> > no
> > clue where the motor actually is unless the AC servo asserts a fault output.
> > And it can't do that because I disconnected it for this test.
> >
> > I don't know how the Ethernet Communications with the MESA 7i92H works.
> > Page
> > 8 of the user manual says it's UDP which means launch and forget.  The
> > sender
> > has no way of knowing if the message was received although with only two
> > devices perhaps there's a lower level that does verify that.
> >
> > In either case Page 31 states there are error counters so if there is a
> > packet
> > error that is detected after a new motion command is issued; like change
> > direction for example.  Then LinuxCNC might well decide to throw up a
> > following error.
> >
> > I will admit that I misread the HAL instructions and had the
> > MAX_ACCELERATION
> > parameter set to 125% higher.  But with Backlash it was supposed to be 200%.
> > Once I changed that the problem went away.  So bad HAL info generates a
> > following error?  Except that never happened without the extra 92 lbs on the
> > table.
>
> A following error is _expected_ if the stepgen maxaccel parameter is not at
> least 2x the joints maxaccel value (or if any stepgen constraint is lower
> than what linuxCNC may command it to do) So HAL setup can absolutely cause
> following errors.
Should not the HAL driver code flag that error on start up?  Ie. Pseudo code
IF (BACKLASH <> 0.0) AND (STEPGEN_MAXACCEL < (MAX_ACCLERATION *2) THEN
  ERROR in Parameter STEPGEN_MAXACCEL.

> > But if electrical noise from the higher load did cause a damaged UDP packet
> > then there's the answer.  A quick change in direction to handle backlash
> > and a
> > missing message throws out the timing and results in a following error. John
>
> You can check this by plotting hm2_7i92.packet-error , but if setting the
> stepgen maxaccel value stops the following errors it does not seem likely they
> are caused by lost packets. Plotting the following error will also give you
> some
> insight into whats going on.
> Peter Wallace
> Mesa Electronics

I'll try that but it doesn't explain why there were no following errors without
the extra 92 lbs on the table and the incorrect STEPGEN_MAXACCEL.  I believe
the Following Error Joint 2 message is incorrect.

Perhaps you can explain why that message shows up at all in an open loop
situation?  What does the FPGA do that would cause that?  Is there a separate
message for missing Ethernet or out of sequence Ethernet packets or is it
lumped into Following Error on Joint?

Thanks
John