On Wednesday 30 June 2021 14:47:57 Les Newell wrote:

> On 30/06/2021 12:52, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > This is good to know Les, thank you. But for those who don't know
> > how to achieve that, a 1 axis example would be a huge help.
>
> In your INI file, there are two places where you can set the MIN_LIMIT
> and MAX_LIMIT (joint and axis). Just make sure you hit the axis limit
> before the joint limit. The difference does not need to be much.*
> *
>
> > In making a servo for axis A/B/C in a stepper machine, there is a
> > huge differential in how it runs unhomed, and how it runs after
> > homed. Being a full rotation device, it has no limits set.
>
> In that case you won't be using soft limits, so it makes no
> difference.

I agree. But thats not how it seems to work. I won't say its unusable
when unhomed, but its 10% of its homed speed of it is jogged whle
unhomed and it suffers from windup badly even running that slow. It acts
like it afraid to move if not homed. The rest of the stepper motor
driven stuff works well, homed or not. And it, "A" does more reversals
while homing, some times visibly away from the switch, with no false
switch stuff detected. Once homed it behaves itself exactly, stopping
within an arc-second of where I sent it, as long as it can get stopped
w/o any overshoot.  Thats dangerous because the pwmgen, if coasting too
far, will try to reverse it while its still turning and that crowbars
and shuts down its 24 volt 10 amp supply for about a 2 minute cooldown
before a power cycle by the f2 key restores it. So I'm forced to use
much slower (10% or less) speeds while homing it, than it can run during
normal, homed operation.

> Les

 - Louis D. Brandeis