On Wednesday 30 June 2021 21:31:28 Matthew Herd wrote:

> Gene, that’s very odd behavior.  My machine isn’t homed (still just
> working on basic tuning) when I’m doing my tests and your behavior
> sounds similar.  I wonder if we could determine the reason for this
> difference in behavior.

I'd love to find it Matthew, but everything I've looked at with a $3200
scope, siglents best 350mhz 4 trace sampler hasn't given me a single
clue, but I can't probe most of the stuff that the halscope can but the
halscope is too slow to catch everything, basicly not enough sample
depth to really investigate it well.

Are you servo or stepper? Thats the only servo I have out of 13 more
steppers here. And I built it from scratch, using an estate gate PMDC
motor with an indexless quadrateur encoder in it, its a worm output,
driving the worm in a BS-1 clone. Very high combined gear ratio.

> > On Jun 30, 2021, at 9:25 PM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> > wrote:

> >> In your INI file, there are two places where you can set the
> >> MIN_LIMIT and MAX_LIMIT (joint and axis). Just make sure you hit
> >> the axis limit before the joint limit. The difference does not need
> >> to be much.* *

> >> In that case you won't be using soft limits, so it makes no
> >> difference.
> >
> > I agree. But thats not how it seems to work. I won't say its
> > unusable when unhomed, but its 10% of its homed speed of it is
> > jogged whle unhomed and it suffers from windup badly even running
> > that slow. It acts like it afraid to move if not homed. The rest of
> > the stepper motor driven stuff works well, homed or not. And it, "A"
> > does more reversals while homing, some times visibly away from the
> > switch, with no false switch stuff detected. Once homed it behaves
> > itself exactly, stopping within an arc-second of where I sent it, as
> > long as it can get stopped w/o any overshoot.  Thats dangerous
> > because the pwmgen, if coasting too far, will try to reverse it
> > while its still turning and that crowbars and shuts down its 24 volt
> > 10 amp supply for about a 2 minute cooldown before a power cycle by
> > the f2 key restores it. So I'm forced to use much slower (10% or
> > less) speeds while homing it, than it can run during normal, homed
> > operation.
> >
> >> Les

> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> > soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law
> > respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis
> > Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene
> > <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>>

 - Louis D. Brandeis