Hi Andy,

The system currently uses PWM to a cheap (not the most linear) 0V-10V
converter.    Which means the PWM values for requested RPM at 100 should
different than the requested PWM for RPM at 1500.  All because originally the
BIT file I was using for the 7i92H did not have an extra step/dir on the first
parallel port and I still required the system to run off a single port for
either LCNC or MACH3.  With MACH3 it's easy.  Change a check box for step/dir
or PWM and it uses the same port pins.  Hence the system is still wired for PWM.

Also the spindle pulley ratio is about 1.040/1.000 if the requested verses
target speeds are to be believed.

Before I added the quadrature feedback I was using a limit block I called
spindle-ramped.  That's because the Bergerda AC servo drive is extremely well
tuned and the motor does what it's asked to do almost instantly.  So a change
from say 700 to 200 RPM felt jerky.  Hence adding the ramp to move up and down
in speed more slowly.  I removed that ramp block once the encoder was there.

I've put the ramp block back in but set .maxv back up to the largest value.
Set .max to largest value and set .min to 0.  Now when told to go to 0 RPS it
goes to 0 and not in the reverse direction which the spindle would rapidly do
if given a negative value that changed the direction output.  A PID outside
another PID is never really a good idea.

In either case, I've set FF0 down to 0.68 and bumped up the P and I which makes
the system more responsive and reached the target velocity faster which means
the up to speed indication is there sooner and tapping begins sooner.  It was
the retraction of the tap that had me worried as the change in direction and
lagging spindle speed made it look like it would break taps.

Although if I understand the G31.1 correctly the Z axis tracks the encoder
reported speed right?  So the spindle speed before the tapping starts and for
reversing is really more of a guide than an actual written in stone value?

In other words, is the PID even needed?

John