I have never used servo drives that close the loop..   I have always had
great luck with normal closed loop within linuxcnc.  (cheap used amc
drives)

(Actually - I take that back - I have used the stmbl drives. so far only
for a spindle..)

This is of course using mesa analog interface hardware.

The only time I had issues with encoder counting was when I thought I could
get by with single ended encoders going over 8 ft...

Look at something like this..  20000 counts per rev,  2 axis with 4000?
counts per rev...  (and the encoders came installed on the servo, single
ended and I think they are us-digital)
If I was missing counts during these complicated sync moves - you would
certainly see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4sKHBh6rDk

(plus no 3rd party software to tune...)  - Granted you have the drives and
are familiar with them - at what point do you give up?

sam