The technology to look for in LCD resin printers is a high resolution
monochrome LCD. They allow much more UV light through than the color LCDs and
last longer before degradation from the UV light exposure ruins them. But since
these printers are pretty much the only reason to revive old mono LCD
technology, they come with a premium price - but the per layer speed is
considerably higher.

   On Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 12:01:01 PM MDT, Bruce Layne
<linux...@thinkingdevices.com> wrote:
On 10/13/21 12:03 PM, Martin Dobbins wrote:
> Bruce Layne wrote:
>
> Someone needs to make an upgraded MSLA printer that automates the post
> processing operations.
>
> I'll pull the trigger when they do, Bruce.

I think of the current state of resin 3D printing as similar to the
early days of photography - nearly magical, but there is some
inconvenient slopping of chemicals to make the magic work.  We need the
3D printing equivalent of digital photography with all of the magic,
instant gratification, and without the messy chemicals.

However, a little rinsing with isopropyl alcohol, air drying, and UV
exposure to cure the surface is a minor price to pay for the resin 3D
printing magic.  It's SO much easier to CAD a structural part and resin
print it than it is to use CNC to make the part.  I complain about the
IPA rinse, but it's much faster and easier than cutting raw stock,
fixturing, breaking end mills, tool changes, clearing chips, multiple
fixture setups, tumble deburring, etc.   As an added bonus, I can 3D
print parts that can't be made by CNC or injection molding.  Small parts
can be arrayed and they 3D print as quickly as a single part when using
MSLA where the entire layer is exposed. Resin printing is an incredibly
powerful tool in my engineering toolbox.

> Do you have an MSLA right now? What model?

I have a Qidi Shadow 5.5S and a Qidi S Box.  Both are budget resin
printers that do a good job, but there are probably better options now.
We're still fairly early in the MSLA technological development.  Prices
are falling as the quality and features improve.

I've had good results with Saraya Tech ABS-Like resin.  It prints well
at the printer's default settings.  I hung some parts outside in direct
sunlight all summer and there was no degradation in strength or loss of
aesthetics.  The quality of the available resins is quickly improving
too.  I'm hoping the supply catches up to the increasing demand and the
prices fall to a penny a gram.

Resin printing is enabling a lot of small businesses to make great niche
products that wouldn't be viable if they required expensive high volume
injection molding.