If you are taking the right approach or not depends on the tasks you want
this robot arm to reform.  Are they entirely scripted such that you can
write G-code to control the arm?   Or is this arm using a camera and vision
system to pick up randomly placed objects?

If the former, LCNC will work fine and self-collision is a
non-issue because you programmed the G-code so as not to let that happen.
But if the arm's path through space is determined in real-time and is not
pre-programmed, LCNC is not the best tool, and you should be looking at
"MoveIt". https://moveit.ros.org/

But I think it is possible to build a hybrid system that uses BOTH software
systems.  There is a part of LCNC that does motion control and has
programmatic API and this could be used to build an arm controller.  MoveIt
then computes a trajectory.

For LCNC experts not familiar with MoveIt...   MoveIt outputs a series of
"target points". for each motor.  A joint has the following information

   - Time this target point shall be reached
   - The location of the point
   - The velocity
   - The acceleration

Question.  Given that you have a user space process running that has that
above information how to best pass this to LCNC so that LCNC can output the
stepper pluses or whatever is needed to drive the hardware.

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 9:12 PM Ian Charnas <ian.char...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone. I'm new to LinuxCNC but I'm an engineer with a background in
> software and cnc machining so I'm hoping I'll learn quickly.
>
> I'm interested in setting up LinuxCNC to run a robot arm. From what I can
> tell, the wise approach is to follow this guide
> <http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/motion/dh-parameters.html> to setting
> up
> my modified DH parameters, and to use this guide
> <http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/gui/vismach.html> to setting up a
> visual
> representation of the arm - either by importing STL files or by drawing
> graphics primitives.
>
> My first question: am I heading down a wise path or are there other
> better options that I'm unaware of?
>
> My second question: Can LinuxCNC prevent the robot arm from crashing into
> itself, and if so how does it know when a crash would occur? Does it use
> the geometry of each link that I provide in vismach?
>
> many thanks for any tips and advice,
> Ian
>
> --
> Ian Charnas | Engineer | iancharnas.com <http://www.iancharnas.com>