On Fri, 17 Dec 2021 at 08:06, John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com> wrote:

> Add the second though and there doesn't seem to be any clear position where
> the second just drops down onto the secondary planet gears.  It's always a
> force fit.  Either there's a key where it can go together just so perfectly
> or it's a flawed design.

I think I would print the planets with the phase shift built-in. But
you will never be able to slide them in axially, they need to be
engaged radially and then the axles be dropped in.

But I don't think that I understand your tooth counts. You should have
100, 101 and 6 x 40t gears. The 100 and 101 need to be profile-shifted
to have the same PCD.

Align the green and blue teeth at 0 deg. Half way round the teeth will
be 180 degrees, or half a tooth pitch out of phase.
At the +120 degree position the pinion pair need a phase shift of +1/3
tooth pitch, and at -120 degrees -1/3 tooth pitch.
I don't _think_ that the +120 and -120 gears are interchangeable, but
I might be visualising erroneously.

It's probably worth making a detailed CAD model and meshing all the
gears in the model, just to be sure. I failed to do that with this. At
least yours is just 3D print:
https://youtu.be/wzz9MIz_KNg

--
atp