On 12/24/21 6:10 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
No, RT patches are not a waste of time.  But using something as big as  a
Linux based PC to drive a machine is not  going to be popular today and
will be even less so in 10 years.  40 years ago the PC is the only
affordable computer that had enough compute power.  This is not longer
true.  we now have 32-bit microcontrollers and FPGAs. al for under $20.

Look at a typical hobby R/C servo.  The cheapest one on Amazon is $5 (The
MG996).  Inside there is a digital motor controller that measures the input
pulse with in microseconds and reads an analog voltage from the position
encoder.  It uses a PID control loop to adjust the motor's current via an
H-bridge to keep the output shaft at the commanded set point.  The entire
device, computer. motor, gears and all, sells for $5 on Amazon.   That $5
servo Is reliably measuring at the sub uSec level.  Something a PC can't
do.  In the 80's these servos were analog because you would need something
like an IBM PC to implement a PID loop.
I flew R/C aerobatics/pattern for years.  You would not find one of those $5 POS servos in any of my aircraft.

Nothing wrong with using LCNC, I use it.  But we were talking about why a
person starting out would pass on it.  It is just not what people would do
today.   Today, I buy something, I expect to turn it on and then maybe
download the phone app that let's me control it.    I don't expect to edit
text files to make by video doorbell work
That's probably good if you want to run a toy plastic printer.  Not my cuppa tea.

I'm not suggesting anyone do anything, just explaining why LCNC is not
taking over the world.  People will go for the $300 box that is plug and
play 80% of the time.  People want support and a warenty.

Fine.  Let them.  We're not out to conquer the world.  We're pretty happy with what we have, at least I am.  I'm not going to introduce something like a web server between the motion controller and the motion.  I much prefer to keep all my stuff under one hood.  I do not like tablets.  I do not like iPhones or Android phones to do much of anything more the talk or text.  I don't like typing on either a pad or a phone.  Much rather have a regular sized keyboard where I can usually type close to 60 words a minute.

I've been using LCNC now for over 20 years.  There is no plug and play solution for the type of machine I run, my saw beveler.  It took some help from the kind folks who developed and who have implemented complex setups on machines to get mine to do what I required it to do.  No way a plug and play is ever going to figure out something like that.  Sure as hell don't want phones or tablets out in my shop.

You want something different?  Fine.  Take the bones and go for it.  Make what you envision happen.

Mark