This is why I said to build the 3D printed arm.  You gain a lot of
experience with a table top sized robot even if it is not the $100K metal
arm you dreamed of.

Lots of people can assemble metal parts and buy expensive motors.  But
purposeful behavior and REALLY hard.  What you don't want is a $100K robot
that can't do anything.

Start with a $150 arm that is made of plastic and uses $10 stepper motors.
 Get that arm to pick up a pencil from wherever you place it on the table
and then put the pencil in a plastic coffee mug.      I would say if you
can't do this, don't even think about building a robot that can manufacture
children's toys or make cars.

Too many people try and bypass the design process and jump to the final
product.   I think it is Youtube that drives this.   You can't get a
million views if all you do is left a pencil  1 inch off the table, drop
it, then pick it up and drop it again 20 times in a row and say "next month
I hope to be able to move the pencil to the space over the coffee cup."
Doing that would only impress engineers, not the public.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California