Hi Ken,
I just went down to the shop and set up my ELS on the Gingery Lathe to simulate
this.  Since you don't have control over the height it does a move out of the
way of the work to return at high speed to the BEGIN position.  It's configured
I BROACH mode so doesn't need to have the spindle turning.

On each pass it moves out (towards me in this example) by 0.25" with the
assumption the stone is slightly wider for a bit of overlap.   I set total
depth of 'thread' to 2" but I'd run out of room on the cross slide before that.

I can make a quick video of that if you want to see it.
John