> I don't know if my reply got through. Look at Micro-Epsilon.

It did get through, thank you.
Micro-Epsilon appear to be a premiere brand in this industry.

I am a bit puzzled by some of the replies saying that it is very difficult to
achieve 0.001 with these sensors. Perhaps I failed to mention the units, which
are inches. I also failed to mention that the sensor will measure the height of
an object that rests at a known position, from a working distance of >4”. So
it’s not absolute accuracy that I’m after but relative displacement. These
triangulation sensors are quite good at that, it would appear.

I decided to go with a Keyence Ia-060 head and Ia-1000 amplifier, because the
whole kit can be had used off ebay for around $200.

The signal out of this device is 0.5V-4V. It is scalable to a specific working
range, which should allow me to use the entire voltage scale instead of that
scale being spread over the instrument’s working range.

Now I need to get this signal into LinuxCNC. I think the MESA THCAD device
would work, though it’s a bit overkill. Does MESA have other 1 or 2-channel A-D
options, perhaps without the high voltage protection?

I also have a few ADS1115 devices on hand. I saw that someone created a
LinuxCNC component for these, as it would appear, by bit-banging the i2c
protocol from a parallel port. I don’t run a base thread on this machine,
though, and the computer is a pi4. Is it possible to use the native i2C bus on
the pi4 in a LinuxCNC realtime component? If this sounds like a naive question,
it’s because it is one. I code mostly by the copy-paste method. :)