On Saturday, 26 March 2022 02:10:50 EDT Thaddeus Waldner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in the process of installing a probe on my router. I want to use
> this by placing it on an arbitrary location on top of the workpiece
> and probing with the installed cutter.
>
> I would like to configure an unused physical keypad button to run a
> probing routine that will probe, then automatically adjust either a
> workpiece offset or a tool offset.
>
> At this point I have the probe connected and switching the
> motion.probe-input signal; G38.2 works.
>
> Can someone show me what is required to make the rest work? I imagine
> that I should write the probing routine in g-code and run it at the
> push of the button … somehow.
>
> Thaddeus Waldner

Andy may have a better idea, but I would explore the idea of running a
named subroutine that captures the machines current xy position, (so you
can run it up the post and return to the saved xy position) moves to the
contact pad, starts the spindle slowly in reverse so it doesn't cut the
pad, does the g38.2, and uses the results to set the coordinate system Z,
probably with an offset from the known height of the pad. I use un-etched
pcb material for the pad which is about 1/16" thick. 99% of this, var
#numbers etc is in the Documentation.pdf. Okular will be your friend.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis