On 6/25/22 14:21, Nicklas SB Karlsson wrote:
Den 2022-06-25 kl. 19:44, skrev ken.stra...@sympatico.ca:
I agree about stopping and I have the broken tips to prove it! IMHO an even
better solution would be to:
* Allow jogging as usual if probe is not tripped
* If probe trips, reverse motion until probe is untripped

Guess reverse direction might be a little bit confusing, what about manual reverse direction allow jogging backwards instead?

There might be a problem if barely touching so that there are glitches then moving away backwards. Guess some distance then probe input go low happen is a good idea. There is toggle button for temporary allow jogging then end switching is tripped and this i probably a good idea also for the probe to not get stuck.

* Move forward in the original direction at slow speed until probe trips
again
* Stop

This would allow jogging at any speed without fear of probe damage. If the
probe trips then one could set X/Y/Z zero when the motion stops.
It is also useful if machine stop then using g-code. An attribute in tool table to indicate it is a probe so signal should be connected is also useful but not very important since work around is possible.

Nicklas Karlsson

I've broken several Reneshaw up to $250 clones, but most were junk I never should
have bitten on.

If I need an accurate z, I usually rig a piece of unetched pcb as a test contact, then incorporate that offset into my code. Just make sure your spindle is grounded and its quite easy to get .0002" or better repeatability. None of the Reneshaw clones I've had have that sort of accuracy, lucky to be .002" for repeatability. Pretty shabby in real use.
So I just measure with the tool & be done with it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis