Hi Martin,
Good links.
The other issue I've been fighting for some time, and one reason for the Pi4 is
a backup server.

For now the Pi4 c/w Mesa7i92 and a couple of break out boards has been great
for on the bench testing for my CAN bus based power draw bar.  Project also on
hold for now.

I'm using Windows Home Server (WHS) to back up the various computers but it
can't do my Wife's MAC nor the Linux systems on the next.  What WHS has(had)
going for it was the complete reconstruction of the system after replacing a
hard drive.  This includes all the special secret keys for licensed software.
Not an issue for Linux because no one wants to put the licensed software on it
anyway so a pure file by file backup works well for Linux.

With WHS, insert a CD into the PC with the new hard drive.  It boots from that
and finds the server.  You then select which PC and which back up date you want
restored.  Hours later when it is done the system boots as if it was never
broken.  Saved my bacon a few times and much cheaper timewise compared to
re-installing all sorts of software files etc and reconfiguring.  At worst you
lose the day the system failed.

But WHS is no more.  Not sure why.  Anyway the size of the hard drive I have on
the workstation now I think keeps breaking it.  An older laptop died last week
and I've not been able to reconstruct it.

Hence the idea of using an RPi4 with battery backup for clean shutdown, fan and
a 4 TB hard drive is appealing.

However the work involved in setting up such a server seems overwhelming.  But
first a Pi4 must be able to talk to one or more large hard drives.

John